|Wondering whether 2015 had an unusual number of quarterback injuries? Or why Joe Namath missed so many games? Or just why the Browns start a random
quarterback in Week 17 every year?|
The following team charts detail every starting quarterback change in the NFL over the last 67 seasons.
- Many pre-1965 teams changed in-game quarterbacks on a frequent basis. As such, the starter was less important, and the starter could change on the coach's whim, with little to no pre- or post-game explanation. This pretty much ended by the early 1970s, with the Houston Oilers as perhaps the last holdout.
- The number after a quarterback's name indicates the then-current number of stints he had as that team's starter.
- "Ineffective" is a catch-all term used to designated non-injury-related poor play that caused the quarterback to be benched.
- "*" designates the normal #1 quarterback regaining his starting spot after returning from injury/rest/suspension/holdout.
- Some changes are footnoted, and further details are given underneath the team chart.
- Playoff games are included.
Labels: NFL, QBs, Quarterbacks